[RE-wrenches] Battery backup under attack in CA

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 14:02:30 PDT 2013

Wrenches,

Unfortunately, this is affecting all battery-based systems -- it's not
limited to OutBack.

SCE recently issued an External Memorandum stating their position.  I've
read the memorandum, but I've also read SCE's Rule 21 and their NEM tariff,
and the utility's position is not supported by their own rules.  These
systems fully meet the requirements of the SCE Rule 21 and NEM Tariff.  The
new RPS Guidebook, which the SCE NEM Tariff uses to define permissible
systems, allows for two classes of energy storage -- Integrated, and
Directly Connected.  With Directly Connected energy storage, the system can
be charged by any number of sources.  The customer is allowed to have
onsite loads.  Maintaining a battery is an onsite load.  The only energy
exported is from the renewable source, the PV array.

SCE's position that the battery can never charge from the grid is simply
not supported by their own rules, However, their current position has put a
substantial barrier in place to homeowners that desire grid-tie with
battery backup, and to businesses like your own that support this market.
 We need to push back against this position, and help people move forward
with their renewable energy systems.

I would ask any of you affected by this issue to press the CPUC to give SCE
and the other utilities clear and specific guidance on this issue as soon
as possible. Explain how this current impasse affects your business and
your customers. Telephone: 866-849-8390 or 415-703-2074 Email:
public.advisor at cpuc.ca.gov. Better yet, file a complaint with the CPUC,
either as an informal complaint or as a formal complaint.  Formal
complaints carry far more weight, but take more work.  More info on the
process is available at
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/PUC/aboutus/Divisions/CSID/Public+Advisor/

Best regards,

Philip Undercuffler
Director, Product Management and Strategy
OutBack Power Technologies
17825 59th Ave NE, Suite B, Arlington, WA 98223
360.618.4306 office  |  425.319.2821 mobile
www.outbackpower.com