[RE-wrenches] Dual Radian install

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Aug 5 15:00:41 PDT 2013

Nathan:

Thanks to you and all the others for the speedy replies.  We installed one
single Radian and I will never again buy a pre-wired GSLC.  The wiring was
sloppy and it is unrealistic to try and cram the AC and DC switching into
one or two of these cabinets.

More and more frequently we forego using the standard BOS AC Cabinets for AC
distribution and instead go directly into standard outboard AC cabinets.
This is true for FX, SW, MX and Radian installations.  Here's how we used to
do this with SW inverters:
<http://millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Portfolio/Inverters/battery_iinverters/f
ull_size_photos/3_input_sw.JPG>
http://millersolar.com/MillerSolar/Portfolio/Inverters/battery_iinverters/fu
ll_size_photos/3_input_sw.JPG

We have been designing and building our own bypass interlock brackets.  With
some aluminum stock, a band saw and a little ingenuity we have been able to
build any interlock we need.  For this installation we will back-feed the
generator into an extra breaker in the inverter-fed panel  We will interlock
it with the two inverter fed breakers and have a very reliable and
inexpensive bypass.  I am fixing to do an article on my web site featuring
the various interlock solutions we have built.

(This is off the subject, but one can use a single phase panel to handle the
output distribution for a 120 only inverter system as well as provide a
bypass.  One bus is inverter fed and the other is gen fed.  Properly
configured breakers with an interlock provide the bypass capabilities.)

I am curious about why you would recommend the Petametric.  It handles only
three shunts just like the FNDC.  I understand you can install an unlimited
number of charge controllers to the FNDC (and maybe the Pentametric as well)
as long as you shunt the combined negatives with any shunt having the
correct amps/mv ratio.  The FNDC integrates with the Mate 3 which seems
desirable to me over the Pentametric.  Comments?

Again, thanks to everyone.

William

17395 Oak Rd. Atascadero, CA 93422
www.millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>
805-438-5600 voice*
*Note: above number replaces cell number

  _____