[RE-wrenches] (no subject)

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sat Aug 3 17:42:35 PDT 2013

Mac;

Is this off grid?   The Intimidator is not a high cycle life battery.
I've had trouble finding exact ratings, but its probably in the 250 to
300 cycles at 80% DOD.  I'd expect 3 years max in an off grid
application.  Also the Intimidators  I've seen are actually AGM, not
Gel, but I don't know.  I looked on Deka's website but didn't find any
good charge set points.  This is basically a sealed RV/ Marine battery.
Definitely not a top choice, but its what the battery guys have on the
shelf, so that's what they sell.
You're on to the biggest problem, pulling off opposite corners of the
bank to balance the connector resistance between all the strings.
I go out of my way not to poo poo the customer's choice, but to make
sure and let them know you can't guarantee the performance of the
system.   I had almost the exact experience just a few months ago, where
the customer had just bought a new set of Intimidators.  I just told him
to use them up, no sense in worrying about it, and when they were worn
out, we'd get him something better.  I used AGM setting on the Midnite
controller on that system. Voltage set points should be his
responsibility to track down, if their gel.  It keeps you from being
responsible for anything to do with the battery performance or life.
When he needs a new set, you sell him the right stuff, set it up right,
and low and behold you'll look good when they outlast his previous sets.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician