[RE-wrenches] EGC for Enphases

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Fri Jul 5 16:25:09 PDT 2013

I think what Dave is saying is that the enphase cable neutral is connected
to the EGC in the roof mounted j-box, and no neutral is run to the Lennox
panel or disconnect. While the neutral should not carry line current under
normal operation, Enphase calls it a neutral - look up the NEC definition
of neutral. I can see an AHJ having reservations about this, whether the
"combined Neutral/EGC/GEC" is bare or insulated.

I would not waste time trying to argue this with the AHJ. I would bring
three current carrying conductors plus a combined EGC/GEC to the main
distribution panel, just like every other Enphase job we do.

I spend a fair amount of time explaining how this solar powered air
conditioner is nothing revolutionary, except for the creative marketing.
Anyone out there try to team up with a HVAC company to market any A/C unit
as solar powered?

Jason Szumlanski
Fafco Solar