[RE-wrenches] Tigo and SMA AFCI - Was: AC coupled, grid-tied Sunny Island - contactor & bypass

Ryan ryan at kb1uas.com
Wed Jun 5 17:36:23 PDT 2013

 From Robin

It has been pointed out that the Tigo modules can and do blow up some
charge controllers and inverters. When a charge controller or inverter
has fairly fast tracking, the two units fight each other. We have found
Classics using the fast tracking mode will blow up with Tigo's in the
system. We also found that putting the Classic in the slower tracking
mode, Legacy, solves the issue. We are aware that at least one major
inverter model must defeat the tracking in order not to blow up. We have
not yet tested our arc fault detectors with Tigo modules, but plan on
doing this in the near future. It might be possible that the Tigo
modules present a signature that looks like an arc. That must be what is
happening with the SMA inverter.

Robin