[RE-wrenches] Tigo and SMA AFCI - Was: AC coupled, grid-tied Sunny Island - contactor & bypass

SunHarvest eric at harvesthesun.com
Wed Jun 5 12:33:37 PDT 2013

Just an FYI for anyone wanting to use Tigo optimizers with SMA inverters incorporating AFCI -

According to SMA the Tigo optimizers will not operate with the SMA inverters. They didn't go into detail. They just said the AFCI feature of the Sunny Boy is not compatible with Tigo. After further discussion they acknowledged that disabling the AFCI feature in the Sunny Boy would allow compatibility with the Tigo optimizer. Awesome.

After talking this over with Tigo they came to the same conclusion but neither company seemed too happy or confident in the marriage. Awesome.

Eric Stikes
SunHarvest