[RE-wrenches] Monitoring - The Dilemma

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Mon Jun 3 11:44:36 PDT 2013

Most reasonable people don't expect you to work for free, so charge for the
service at your normal and reasonable rate. If the customer desires to fix
the issue themselves, most manufacturers have excellent support staff that
will patiently help an end-user with getting their monitoring system going.
I've found Enphase to be superb at their willingness to communicate
directly with end users.

Another key is to set the expectation at the time of installation. Leave
all manuals and manufacturer contact information with the customer. Make it
clear that this is a consumer electronic Internet connected device, and it
is dependent on both communication with the inverter(s) and the Internet
and that loss of communication is not covered under warranty, just like a
computer that loses connection to the Internet. Sometimes just showing them
how it works will avoid confusion and save an unnecessary call.

You are right - most are clueless about Internet and networking issues.
What do they do when their router, computer, Apple TV, or other Internet
connected device goes down? They call their [insert family computer guru
here] or call the Geek Squad. At least that covers half of the issue, which
is the most common issue in my experience. Communication issues with the
inverter(s) are common problems, but there is no reason to feel bad about
charging for legitimate service issues.

Jason Szumlanski