[RE-wrenches] AC Coupling different brands

lars Ortegren lars at cal-solar.com
Tue May 28 10:53:17 PDT 2013

We have done a number of off grid AC coupling projects over the last eight
years. We have found they are successful with anything that comes close to a
true sign wave, including some of the old Trace inverters. I would be
careful to not come too close to the wattage of the source inverter, and
keep in mind that your battery charging is only one stage (bulk), and might
not be the best choice without another charging source (i.e. the grid, or a
semi regular generator). I can't say it makes a lot of sense, but when we
have tested grid tied inverters and charge controllers side by side, the GT
inverters produce significantly more than any CC's on the market.. Any more,
I think that it is a better design to have the larger array tied to a GT
inverter, and a small array tied to a charge controller for absorb and float
charging...Just sayin.

Lars Ortegren
Director of Operations
California Solar Electric Company
10141 Evening Star Drive, Suite 6
Grass Valley, CA 95945
http://www.californiasolarco.com/

Phone : (530)274-3671
Fax: (530)274-7518

California C-10 Electical Contractor #779624
NABCEP Certified PV Installer # 091110-89
Certified NABCEP Continuing Education Provider