[RE-wrenches] Enphase / Inverter failures

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue May 7 14:37:45 PDT 2013

BobO:

I too was hesitant to install micro inverters for the reasons you
cite:  why should I have to go on a roof to replace electronics? and,
should electronic components even be on a roof?

I am converted.  We have had a few failures, but a manageable
percentage.  It does suck to go on the roof and to require two people in
most cases, to replace an inverter, but we have managed.  I get $150.00 per
inverter.  Not great, but better than nothing.   I add a few dollars to
each Enphase install to build up a fund that, added to the manufacturer's
reimbursement, covers my costs.  Consider this:  to replace most 5Kw or
above inverters requires two people anyway because of the weight of the
inverter.  Furthermore, when a 5kw inverter fails you've got to get out
there, stat, but when a 215 watt inverter fails, you can put it on your
schedule for when you are next in the neighborhood.

I don't enjoy the PLC interference problems, which are rare. When they have
occurred, Enphase provided continuous technical support, including factory
evaluation of line filters and enhanced system analysis.  Did you know that
each Enphase system has a built in spectrum analyzer? Tech support can
provide a printout of interfering signals to help in
troubleshooting.  Installing a separate AC load center to accept the AC
return breakers helps with solving these problems.  I understand that the
next release of Enphase inverters will be Wi-fi, eliminating the PLC
protocol entirely.  When the communication works, (which it does most of
the time) it is a very valuable resource.

Micro inverters have added a degree of flexibility in system design
hitherto unavailable:  The Enphase has allowed us to retrofit a few older
GTBB installations, for example tieing two SR100 modules to one M190
inverter.  We have also added a few micro inverters to string inverter
systems that needed a few more watts but had no room for expansion either
in existing strings into existing inverters, or no room on any wall for
more string inverters.

I would encourage you to try an Enphase installation.  I have nothing to
gain for saying that, I just like the product and I want my fellow wrenches
to have all the resources to provide the best design for a given challenge.

We installed Fronius for awhile, but we had a greater than 300% failure
rate (not a typo, every inverter failed at least 3 times).  There is not
enough reimbursement in the world to compensate for that failure
rate.  Most Fronius employees have been great to work with but two of them
defamed me to an important client, and that has left me feeling less than
supportive about Fronius.

I am curious, what is your failure rate with Fronius inverters?  What
climactic environment are you in?  Do you have coastal influences?

Sincerely,

William Miller