[RE-wrenches] Enphase "AC Frequency Out Of Range"

Dave Palumbo dave at independentpowerllc.com
Mon Apr 15 13:12:39 PDT 2013

I'd like to revisit a thread from early February where we were discussing
Enphase microinverters going off line due to utility power quality issues
when "Pinging" of smart meters occur.

I have a system where I was told by Enphase that they applied their software
fix in late March, but in this case it did work in fixing the problem of the
inverters dropping for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour a couple of times
per day. The drops are not regular and now it appears that they are not
connected to the pinging of the meters on my customers site as we had the
utility change their schedule to only ping at midnight.

We are still seeing AC Frequency Out of Range errors almost daily on our
M-215 inverters. Sometimes it is for only several inverters and other times
up to the whole array of 32 inverters. On my other Enphase systems have no
problems.

What other issues besides utility pinging of my customers smart meter could
be causing the problem?

Could the pinging of the neighbors meters by the utility off of the same
transformer be affecting the Enphase M-215's? I'm suspicious of something
other than this because the errors occur at random times that appear
unrelated to utility pinging.

Thanks,

Dave

David Palumbo