[RE-wrenches] outback fx series inverters

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 19:29:55 PDT 2013

It's a sad fact of life that people will attribute their ills to
whatever is new, strange, or emotionally unappealing to them. In Vermont
right now the woo-woos are afraid of wireless internet routers, wireless
smart meters, and wind turbines.

You have several choices.

Call their game - tell them that you are sorry that they feel ill but
that scientifically speaking it can't be from the inverter. Inform them
of all the studies showing that people can't actually feel EMF or any
kind of RF (short of sitting inside a radar dish and cooking). They
should look elsewhere for relief - like a good therapist. If they are
offended by that then maybe they will find another installer to bother
and your life will be improved.

Play their game - Faraday cage the thing or whatever the quacks want you
to do. Charge full boat and a half for that kind of nonsense.

Play your game - figure out something easy to do, attribute the EMF to
that, and do it. I once had a potential client (luckily I didn't get the
job) ask for a copper box around the batteries to reduce the "harmful
waves." I assured her that she was somewhat misinformed; if there were
any waves to be emitted, that they would come from the cables between
the batteries and the inverter. All I would have to do is wrap the
cables around each other in a spiral and the waves would be canceled
out. She was satisfied with that. It was just my confidently expressed
mumbo jumbo instead of hers, and it would cost her zero as opposed to a
copper box. (Actually, widely spaced battery cables can be a source of
RFI, so I wasn't totally spoofing her.)

Good luck,

Hilton

--