[RE-wrenches] Fuse sizing in battery circuits

William Dorsett wmdorsett at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 9 07:00:04 PDT 2013

This topic comes up often enough that we ought to mention a yellowed article
in Home Power, (1992 Issue 27, pg 26). Christopher Freitas wrote Overcurrent
Protection for Battery-Powered Systems where he describes experiments he did
back when he was with Ananda. He put a 2000 A Big Switch to initiate a short
(4/0 cable) between the terminals on a set of four golf cart batteries (2
strings @ 12V). In series, he put in a 500A Shunt so he could measure
current passing and various fuses and breakers. "For comparison, we decided
to directly short the battery.the meter read 6960 amps peak current (three
seconds) .during each test the 4/0 cable lifted off the ground 4 inches into
the air by the forces generated by the extremely high current.." They
videoed the 250 A ANN buss fuses arc and smoke; the 200A Heinemann Series AM
breakers (paralleled ones that maybe Roy mentioned) went 3 seconds without
breaking and the video showed a flash and blue smoke.

175A ITE breaker with 42,000 AIC "simply tripped.but still allowed a peak
current of 2960 amps

200A Class T Littlefuse "opened promptly with no external signs of
stress.1920 amps peak current"

Christopher's recommendations:

"Every AE system must have overcurrent protection able to interrupt the
maximum current available from the batteries. For most systems, the main
protection should use current limiting high AIC fuses, such as a Class T or
Class R. A disconnect switch which allows the fuse to be safely changed
should be included. A lower cost alternative is to mount the fuse in a fuse
holder without a disconnect. Although the fuse would always be electrically
hot,  it normally would not be changed during the life of the system. The
fuse holder should be mounted outside the battery enclosure. Fuses should
not be bolted directly onto the battery terminal, as they are not designed
to handle the physical stresses that can occur without the protection of a
fuse holder.

Fuses which have exposed elements, such as ANN fuses, should not be used
because they are not current limiting and have only 2500 amps AIC. They also
may be a significant hazard when installed near batteries.

High AIC breakers, like the Heinemann Series CF (25,000 Amps AIC @ 65VDC)
can provide overcurrent protection for individual items. They cannot be used
to protect lower AIC breakers. This eliminates their use as a main
disconnect in most systems.

Low AIC breakers, like the Heinemann Series AM (5000A AIC @65 VDC) or the
Square-D QO (5000A @ 125 VDC) can be used in load distribution centers and
components, but must be protected by a current limiting fuse. Using low-AIC
breakers alone will not provide sufficient protection with a battery system
and may be a significant hazard during short circuit situations."

It won't pull up anymore on HP's article search but probably Michael has a
copy he could post for those interested.

Bill  Dorsett

Manhattan, KS