[RE-wrenches] Cable tray

John Berdner John.Berdner at solaredge.com
Wed Mar 27 09:16:36 PDT 2013

Exposed single conductor sunlight resistant cable in cable trays are widely used in PV systems outside the US.
There is a very large installed base of systems with good long term performance data using this type of construction.
We should not discount the advantages of wire cable trays just because we are unfamiliar with it.

Look at data cabling - Characterized by many, relatively small, cables over long distances with periodic drops.
Sounds a lot like PV source circuits (other than voltage and current in the wires of course).
There are lots of videos out there showing how to pull 10's of pairs of wires simultaneously in cable trays.
IMHO, we need to look at ideas like this to reduce installation cost and time.

Installation costs are becoming the tall pole in the tent and new thinking is needed.
As systems are falling to sub $3.00 /Watt all-in, running wire in conduit will simply not be cost effective.
Running wire in conduit is one of the reasons PV installation costs in the US are double (or more) of those in Europe.
As one of my former German colleagues noted:
"It is only in the US where you need first to be a plumber before you can be an electrician"

Best Regards,

John Berdner
General Manager, North America

SolarEdge Technologies, Inc.
3347 Gateway Boulevard, Fremont CA 94538 USA  (*Please note of our new address.)