[RE-wrenches] Cable tray

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Mon Mar 25 18:01:16 PDT 2013

Ouch. I promise I'm not advocating for anything like that. What I may be missing is the Code reference that says "no cable tray on roofs" or similar.

There is so much room for improvement in wire management practices, that being able to use cable tray seems like a step forward. I understand some jurisdictions do not allow it, but it appears as though Code changes were made specifically to address this. It's boring stuff, but you can read the explanation of the Code changes in the ROP and ROC documents.

The Code changes a lot with regards to PV system, and Article 690 is more fluid than other articles. Some of this is the Code trying to keep up with technology. In other cases the Code evolves based on new applications for existing products. Often it changes because some areas of the Code are confusing for electricians and inspectors alike. If the new Code language is more clear in its intent than previous versions, some inspectors are willing to let installers build to the most current standard.

That's all I'm advocating for: Trying to understand how the minimum requirements outlined in Code evolve over time so that you can have a friendly and informed conversation with your AHJ over a donut.