[RE-wrenches] XW generator control for thermostat

Jeff Yago jryago at dtisolar.com
Fri Mar 22 13:23:57 PDT 2013

We have an Xantrex XW 6048 inverter we installed for a client about 2 years
ago that includes the separate generator  control module, which currently
programmed to start the generator on low battery.  The client has gone
through several  outages when he was not home.  The solar/battery/inverter
system worked too good so the battery charge never dropped low enough to
start the generator, so the heat never came on.  His heat will never run
during a winter outage unless the generator is started.

I know the XW generator control module has a specific control input
dedicated (yellow & gray spares) for a remote thermostat that will trigger
the generator to run if the thermostat calls for heat.  I also changed the
program switch enable the thermostat input function (default is off).
However, this feature does not work.  We even shorted the control wires
right at the generator control module but the generator will not remote
start except using the remote display manual off/auto/run program toggle,
which at least shows this generator control module does work.

The installation manual states it will start the generator on a "signal"
from a wall thermostat.  Does this mean we need a voltage and not a dry
contact?

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jeff Yago