[RE-wrenches] P1 micro performance

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Fri Mar 22 08:11:15 PDT 2013

The power quality should not be adversely affected.

While I'm sure different manufacturers may limit power in different ways, in theory all the inverter is doing is moving the array off its MPP. Here's a description from AE:

If the power available from the array exceeds the nameplate rating of the inverter, the inverter will limit
the power and current coming from the array to the inverter’s maximum nameplate power and
current rating. The inverter does this by reducing the DC input current, which causes the DC
operating voltage to rise above the maximum power point of the array, thereby ‘clipping’ the
array output. This effectively limits the output of the array without stressing the inverter.

http://solarenergy.advanced-energy.com/upload/File/Application%20Notes/DCLoadingOfPVPinverters.55-600100-75-A.pdf