[RE-wrenches] Conductor Sizing for Supply Side Connection

Garrison Riegel garrison at solarserviceinc.com
Thu Feb 28 05:27:37 PST 2013

Thanks Allen for clarifying why a 60A is required.  I was wondering.  The
spec does list a surge current of 9000W so I thought that may be the
rationale, but even that would only require a 50A, and since this surge
occurs during 'stand-alone mode' it didn't seem to apply to the OCPD at the
main panel.  Your explanation makes more sense, but I wonder why then they
don't list the AC input breaker size as 60A max.  If you have few backup
loads, and are not on the 2011 NEC, a 40A could theoretically be fine?

Thanks all for your thoughts, much appreciated.

Garrison