[RE-wrenches] Generator Controlled Mini Grid

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Mon Feb 11 04:44:58 PST 2013

Chris,

It sounds like you are creating a generator supplied mini grid, if I
understand correctly,  My reading is that your generator is creating
the AC voltage, and the inverter is synchronizing with it, allowing
power to be fed into the system from a PV source.

This approach could represent a major innovation in solar
industry.  I remember a decade or so ago when it was proposed, on
this list, that battery based inverters could be backfed to charge
batteries, and someone tried it.  It worked.  Today AC coupling is
standard operating procedure.

Up to that time, it was only understood that to connect an AC source
to the output of a battery based inverter could damage it.  Maybe the
next step is to AC couple to generator supplied sub panels and allow
PV usage during power outages.

What inverter and generator are you using?  How many Watts of PV are connected?

Thank you,

Drake