[RE-wrenches] GEC for Micro-Inverters and ACPV Modules

Brian Wiley btwinfinity at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 14:31:13 PST 2013

Hi John,

You have brought up several points.

1. practical answer
The NEC says that a GEC can be solid aluminum. PV mounting rails are
typically aluminum. It is easy to calculate the ampacity of a solid
aluminum piece from its cross-section.
Even the lightest rails on the market have an ampacity that is an order
of magnitude greater than the copper wires required by code for GECs.
The 2011 NEC, section 250.64(C)(3) says that "Bolted, riveted or welded
connections of structural metal frames ... of structures" are permitted
splices for the GEC.
The WEEB is a tested and characterized device and therefore preferable
to one that, while allowed by code, has not been characterized at all.

2. listing
There is no standard to list equipment for use as a GEC or an EGC. The
lack of a standard does not mean equipment is not suitable, it just
means we need to use good engineering judgement until the codes catch up.
Does new equipment meet the intent of the existing code? Are there any
valid engineering reasons not to use new equipment? I think those are
the questions we should focus on.
Note that the WEEB was introduced almost 7 years ago and these code
issues still have not been resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

3. connecting to a copper wire
Jason Szumlanski discussed this already, but I will reiterate. When you
connect a GEC to a string inverter it is done in a reversible manner,
typical with a screw connection. When you connect to a PV system,
consisting of multiple distributed inverters, you can do so with a
reversible connection, typically a listed lug, anywhere on the PV system.

Best Regards,
Brian Wiley