[RE-wrenches] DC arc welder?

Tom DeBates habitek83 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 23 05:49:41 PST 2013

Hello Wrenches,
   Recently, while working overseas, we were asked by a welder we employed if we could make a "solar welder" for him. So, not wanting to dismiss his request, my initial thought was to eliminate an inverter and welder for cost and efficiency reasons and weld directly from a battery bank. I have done some homework on this and it seems as though it may be feasible. There is a YouTube video of a guy doing this with 3, 12 volt batteries in series. This would be stick welding only and rod of ~ 3/32". There would be some details to work through, but the biggest one seems to be a means to limit current to the electrode. Has anyone attempted this and/or know of a means to limit the current to the rod?
Thank you,

Tom DeBates

Habi-Tek
Geneva,IL. 60134