[RE-wrenches] To stack or not to stack? Off-grid 240V

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 19:47:59 PDT 2013

Hello Wrenches,

I have an off-grid client with a 24V system and an old Xantrex SW4024.
He wants 240VAC capability with enough oomph for sometimes making a cut
with his 3 hp table saw without starting the generator.

I am looking at Apollo, Magnum, and Outback inverters. I'm most familiar
with Outback. I have a couple of installations out there with stacked
3.6 kW Outbacks.

However, the Apollo marketing promises that their 3.2 kW inverter will
start a 3 hp motor. Will it actually, and is this a good idea even if it
can?

I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences with 240V Apollo units,
stacked Magnums, and stacked Outbacks. I know from experience that the
Outbacks require some hundreds of dollars of extra fittings and
electronics to make a proper stacked installation. How about Magnum? Any
comments on reliability?

Many Thanks,

Hilton

--