[RE-wrenches] cat5 cables for Outback

Tom DeBates habitek83 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 28 06:15:19 PDT 2013

Hello Wrenches,
  Since I have the tooling and materials, I would like to make cat5 cables for Outback and other applications. However, I am having a problem with the RJ-45 plugs that I have (Ideal 85-346). Prior to making any cables, I tried one of the plugs in a Hub port. Fortunately, I tried it in Port 10, which I will not be using.  The plug was tight and did not seem to fit properly and when I removed it, I could see that it had bent a couple of the contacts in the port. I cannot see any physical difference between the Ideal plugs and Outback plugs. I see that Ideal also offers an RJ-45 plug # 85-396. Does anyone know if there is a difference in RJ-45 plugs and is there a specific one you use for Outback applications?
Many Thanks,
Tom

Tom DeBates
Habi-Tek