[RE-wrenches] Tri-Star MPPT

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Tue Jul 23 13:13:26 PDT 2013

Friends:

I have a customer with a new Tristar MPPT controller.  The customer has some
older L-16 batteries mixed with new and she thinks the controller has
damaged her batteries.  I am trying to convince her that the batteries were
already damaged and mixing old with new is a bad idea.

I removed the worst batteries from the array, leaving one string of older
batteries with reasonable SG readings.  The CC still acts strangely:  When
programmed to charge the L-16 batteries, the battery voltage shoots up to
30.2 volts and the batteries boil a lot.  The green light on the controller
blinks at variable rates, at one moment fast, the next slow, the next solid.

I believe the client started with bad batteries, 6 are 4 years old, 2 are 1
year old.  She is convinced that the CC damaged her batteries.  She replaced
panels and CC recently, installing the Tristar.  I believe the old PV system
charged at such a slow rate (8 amps) that the battery deficiency was not
apparent.  The higher charging rate has emphasized the problem.

Any one have any thing to add to my theory?

Thanks in advance.

William Miller

17395 Oak Rd. Atascadero, CA 93422
www.millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>
805-438-5600 voice*
*Note: above number replaces cell number