[RE-wrenches] Fwd: SMA Secure Power Supply

Carl Adams swingjunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 12:48:30 PDT 2013

Hello Wrenches,

I'm considering the new SunnyBoy SB3,4,5000 TL-22-US inverters for upcoming
projects.  The new secure power supply feature seems like a good selling
point.  At this point I am most interested in field experience from those
who have already installed these units.

Here is what I have learned from reading up a bit.

My initial impression was that the electrical switch and outlet shown in
the tech bulletin, youtube video, and discussed in webinars I have seen,
was an actual "hardware product option".  This is not the case.   It is
functionality available in the unit as points of connection.  The intent is
for the installer to pickup the necessary switch and outlet at the local
supply house and make the connections.

One other thing I learned is that between early marketing and product
availability the "functionality" name was changed from "Emergency Power
Suppy (EPS)" to "Secure Power Supply (SPS)" due to NEC code issues.

Another point of confusion for me was in reading the SB3k - 5kTL
installation manual.  In the manual, the discussion of the SPS uses the
term "miniature circuit breaker".   My initial thought was this reference
was to the backfed circuit breaker for the inverter, or a separate circuit
breaker integral to the inverter.  Not the case, just bad translation from
German to English.  The reference, is to the off the shelf switch, the
installer is to use to field install the SPS.

Hope this is helpful, and again I'd like to here from those of you who have
already deployed these units.

Carl Adams
SunRock Solar