[RE-wrenches] Enphase M190 failures

Kent Osterberg kent at coveoregon.com
Fri May 17 08:13:02 PDT 2013

Wrenches,

Less than a year ago I would have told you that I hadn't seen any
Enphase M-190 failures. But since I don't have 1000's in service, as
many of you do, that seemed an insignificant datum. The significance has
changed. On a site where I have 48 installed: one failed last fall,
another failed in the winter, and as we started hitting maximum
irradiance levels and warmer temperatures there has been a steady stream
of failures. Now it is up to 7 failures or 14.6% of the inverters at
this sight. The news I got from Enphase this morning is that this site
still does not meet the criteria for a full change-out to M215
inverters. Of course they wouldn't tell me what the criteria are.

The question I have for those of you that have managed to get Enphase to
do the right thing and upgrade all the M190 inverters to M215 inverters:
how many inverters had to fail before the site met Enphase's criteria
for replacement? I'd like to get an idea of how long I'll be in this mess.

--
Kent Osterberg
Blue Mountain Solar, Inc.