[RE-wrenches] TR Inverter Problems

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Apr 30 15:19:55 PDT 2013

Hi Folks:

I just finished up another ugly rewire project for a customer that had
another"installer" put in a Xantrex TR inverter.
We fixed numerous wiring issues, including neutral bonded to ground in 7
different places!
The issue we're having now though, is that the TR inverter output
voltage fluctuates when running CF lighting, and the refrigerator.
You can literally see the lights cycling brighter and dimmer, and hear
the compressor on the fridge running up and down in frequency. Xantrex/
Schneider Tech support said that:
A) The TR doesn't do well with CF lighting, and that we should switch to
all incandescent........ hmmmm.
B)  We should set the search watts to zero (which I already did)
C) We need to increase the loads on the TR, as it doesn't regulate
output voltage and frequency very well at lower loads........ 2nd big
hmmmmm.

I knew there was a reason I quit installing Xantrex inverters about 5
years ago, but I couldn't recall the details.  Now its all coming back
to my feeble, aging brain.  So aside from switching out the inverter ,
(which I just installed on a beautiful Midnite E-Panel) does anybody
have any cures for our ills?  How would LED lighting behave?  Should I
throw a capacitor across the output?  or perhaps I should just retire
early and sail around the Caribbean? (I can afford a canoe/ no sail......)

As always, thanks in advance for this wonderful technical (and
emotional) support group,

--
R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc