[RE-wrenches] BP SX mods and inverter failure?

jason pozner zzyyzzx11 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 12:30:52 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I know the BP SX module failure has come up often on past posts, but I was
wondering if anyone has seen the failures effecting the systems inverters.
I have inherited several systems from an installer who is no longer in the
area.  I have been picking up the task of replacing the failed/or failing
modules over the last few years.  The two catastrophic failures of the
modules I have seen (melted j-boxes, and spidered glass) have also been
connected to a inverter (2 different models) that has failed.  The OCP has
checked out, ground fault fuses intact, no evidence of hot/melted wires
(other than the failed mods).  This could be coincidence , or not?
Questions of replacing the inverter, and having the remaining modules still
in service is a concern.  Just seeing if any of you have seen anything
similar. Also  wondering if anyone has some insight unto trying to test
mods that don't have the signature burn marks, or come up with a compelling
case for a full array replacement.  It seems my last BP contact is no
longer with them, and not sure how this round will turn out.

Thanks,

Jay Poz
www.nunatakenergy.com
970-349-3432