[RE-wrenches] Redundant Bonding

Karl Jaeger kjaeger at lightwavesolar.com
Wed Feb 20 08:13:13 PST 2013

Greetings Wrenches,
I am having issues with the electrical plans reviewer approving our drawing package. The system consists of a  PVI 10.0, 3-phase inverter to be interconnected via backfed breaker to a 120/208 service. We have a feed in tariff program which requires a solar generation meter base. The solar meter base is provided by the utility, it is 7-terminal therefore it has a neutral connection and a bond between neutral and ground. The service is also bonded, of course. We have two bonds resulting in a ground loop. The utility refuses to allow us to remove the bonding jumper in the solar meter base and we can't float the neutral thru because the meter must see a neutral  to spin. The inverter has an isolated transformer which I believe steers us around 250.142 (B). However, Power One does not specify a GEC termination point in their inverter so the reviewer is reluctant to accept this solution. Has anyone ran into this issue? Any thoughts?
Thank you for your help!

Karl Jaeger