[RE-wrenches] Mini Grid Controlled Generator (Was: Generator Controlled Mini Grid)

Mick Abraham mick at abrahamsolar.com
Wed Feb 13 11:05:28 PST 2013

This is an interesting thread, Wrenches~

May I suggest looking through the opposite end of the telescope? I hasten
to add that I have not had suitable clients to try this suggestion, but:

Instead of using a "synchronous wound" generator (to which grid tie
inverters >might< sync), consider using battery based inverters to
establish the AC parameters, then match in an engine generator which is
intended for grid tie.

Grid-tie engine generators tend to be found in the "combined heat and
power" world which includes jolly features such as heat reclamation and
long life engines. The Marathon Ecopower is worth a look and also the
Freewatt system from ECR...and maybe there are others these days as I
haven't checked up on this for years now. Scaling these "cogeneration"
machines down to modest residential size wattages has been a major hangup,
it seems.

One would need a good way to protect the battery from overcharge, as this
is "AC Coupling" with various Murphy possibilities.

The only other obstacle would be political. One would need to convince the
"grid tie" generator guys to allow use of their machine in a "synthetic
grid" installation. They may be busy enough without having to think about
AC coupling into a battery based inverter system.

Intrepid researchers are encouraged to report back so we can all learn.

Jolliness,

Mick Abraham, Proprietor
www.abrahamsolar.com

Voice: 970-731-4675