[RE-wrenches] high insolation value and inverter undersizing

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Sun Jan 27 15:00:35 PST 2013

I have had a concern for a long time that as PV modules have gone up in
output that there is inevitably going to be more and more clipping taking
place as they’re paired with comparatively lower output inverters.  In
effect, matching, say. a 260-watt module with a micro inverter with a max
output of 225 watts reduces that 260-watt mod to 225 watts.  It’s not a
matter of if clipping will take place, but how much and how much actual
harvestable energy will be lost.

Out here in the tropics, even in January with the lower sun angle, we see
irradiance levels well above 1,000 watts/square meter range.  Take a look at
what I copied today from a weather station that we installed at nearby
installation.

Given the clipping issue inherent in using undersized inverters, it seems to
me that moving to larger output micros makes a whole lotta sense.  I’ve got
one of the first installs using the Power-One 250-watt and 300-watt micros
and am so far quite impressed.  Why use a 225-watt rated micro with a
225-watt or higher output mod when larger micros are now readily available?

What are the views out there regarding this clipping issue?  Is it as
minimal as our Enphase friends suggest in their latest white paper or more
of an issue as I conclude?

marco

Environmentals from Weather Station at a Hilo, Hawaii installation

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 12:40:00 pm

https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/images/icons/weather/temp-red.png

Ambient Temp. 25.30 °C

Cell Temp. 41.70 °C