[RE-wrenches] Husqvarna 5500 and VFX3524 Compatibility

Greg Egan greg at remotepowerinc.com
Sun Jan 27 13:34:26 PST 2013

Wrenchers and Wrenchettes,

A customer has a husq. 5500 generator and an Outback inverter. His
lights flicker in the house when he's charging.  Recently his generator
died and he's having it repaired next week.  I think he thinks the
inverter is causing the problem.  My understanding is that some
generators have less accurate voltage regulators than others and the
ones with the cheaper regulators have a hard time regulating when
connected to a non linear load such as a battery charger.  I don't have
a way to look at the sine wave but I suspect this is the problem here.

The trouble shooting I was planning was to take his (repaired) generator
and connect it to the inverter and put a 15 amp charging load on the
genny and turn on some lights.  If they flicker, start backing off on
the charging amps and see if the flickering goes to zero as the charging
load on the genset goes to zero.  The logic here is that if we take the
charging load out of the circuit and the lights stop flickering and the
genny stops surging, that what we have is an AVR that doesn't like the
battery charger as a load and is "confused" by it.  Would this be correct?

If it is a VR problem I think switching to a Honda EU series inverter
will solve the problem but customer doesn't want to buy a new genny.  I
read a post in the archives regarding generator compatibility and they
recommended adding a resistive load when the charger is running. I've
also heard there was a way of correcting compatibility problems with a
capacitor.  If this is so, has anyone done it before and if so do you
know the size and type of cap I'd need and where I would connect it in
the circuit?

I called Outback Tech support and the person I talked to didn't seem to
really know what I was talking about.  If I get this resolved I'll
probably forward the solution to Outback for their FAQ's

Thanks for the assist - I appreciate it!
--
Untitled Document

Greg Egan

Remote Power Inc.