[RE-wrenches] Fridge Recommendations

Hilton Dier III hiltondier at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 19:51:18 PST 2013

Hi Dave,

It's a stretch, but consider Nova Kool. This is not a low-initial-cost
option, but it can be an ultra-low energy option. Nova Kool makes a high
efficiency DC refrigerator kit - just the mechanical and electrical
guts. You build the box. It was originally designed for boaters who had
to make odd shaped refrigerator boxes to fit curved hulls, or wanted to
convert ice boxes.

I put together one of these last year for the repro historic boat Lois
McClure. It is disguised as a big packing crate in the hold and has 4"
of foam in the walls and an airtight door seal. It uses less than half a
kWh a day for 10 cu. ft.. The compressor assembly is located 12' away
behind another crate.

In the case of off grid residential use, your client could build a
hyper-insulated (6"? 8"? 12"?) box right into an outside wall with the
compressor outside. They could even incorporate a closed sheet metal air
exchange box in the back to use the winter cold sink. If the box has to
be interior the compressor can be located up to 12' away, or 16' with
the extended kit. The whole kit costs about $1,000. Yes, pricier than a
commercial fridge, but think of the cost of a depreciating generator
plus fuel. Think of the extended lifespan of the battery bank. It
probably works in terms of fuel, maintenance, and deferred capital
costs.I've always found that it pays to spend a little more up front on
the demand side management.

A gag I used to use when I had a propane fridge was to set a few water
filled 1-liter soda bottles out on the porch in the winter. Then I'd
swap them in and out of my fridge a pair-three at a time, making it a
semi-icebox.

Good luck and please report back if you find a good fridge.

Hilton

--
Hilton Dier III
Renewable Energy Design