[RE-wrenches] off grid PV connected to generator

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Fri Dec 14 05:38:23 PST 2012

Well summarized. I think your mileage would vary based on the
anti-islanding algorithm used in the inverter and the generator's
ability to regulate frequency. So while it may "work" in that an
inverter syncs to a small generator's output, it's very unlikely that
reverse current backfed into the generator was considered during the
generator design. Feeding 3kW of PV back into a generator that had 6kW
of load isn't going to drop your fuel consumption by 50%, either. Given
that the best case scenario is marginal fuel savings and the worst-case
scenario is a fried regulator board taking your generator offline when
you need it most, I'd keep them separated.

DKC