[RE-wrenches] Fix the Fluorescents: What about LED tubes for late 2012?

Steve McCarney stevemccarney54 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 18:57:33 PST 2012

Hi

In Tunisia there is a net zero energy retrofit project in 4 health
facilities. The exisitng lights were mostly ceiling mounted 34 W
Flourescent tubes and 20 W tubes. We replaced them with 20 W and 10 W LED
tubes. The LED tubes are more like task lighting that directs the light
onlyt downward, compared to the fl tubes that light evenly around the tube.
So with the light directed downward to the task area it was an acceptable
replacement and cut lighting energy consumption roughly in half. The only
complaint I heard (through the grapevine) was about the one tube that was
wall mounted - they said it bothered the eyes because it was at eye level
and they said it was too bright (the 20 watt LED tube). I have not heard of
any LED tube failures on this project (in 1.5 years).

The same fixture that holds fl tubes can be reused with the same size LED
tube as long as the ballast is bypassed.

Steve McCarney, Project Manager
Solar Electric Light Fund