[RE-wrenches] Fix the Fluorescents: What about LED tubes for late 2012?

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Dec 5 16:44:23 PST 2012

Hey Dan,

Great point. You just reminded me of the PV solar powered billboard lights I installed about 2 years ago. They are 120 Vac, 50 watt LED floods. So far they survived two Yuma, AZ summers with temperatures above 115°. During my studies, I learned that heat dissipation by the fixture was a major factor in LED life.

I have been told by some RV customers about 12 volt LED replacement assemblies failing after 1-2 years. These are 12" and 15" tubes that fit in the fluorescent fixture and bayonet style LED clusters. I'm still reluctant about selling LED's even though customers regularly ask for them at our RE retail store.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems