[RE-wrenches] EMT in attic

Mark Frye markf at berkeleysolar.com
Fri Nov 9 07:20:29 PST 2012

Dave,

You are on to something that has been on my mind for years. I believe
that FMC inside the building before a disconnect with DC conductors
above 250V is allowed by the Code.

And I believe the requirement for bonding in 250 applies regardless of
whether or not a separate EGC is run in the FMC.

The real problem I faced was getting FMC and fittings rated for the job.
FMC is available in both Al and steel, thin wall and normal. I always
used thick wall steel FMC and fittings that had a set screw clamping
mechanism for attaching the adapter to the FMC. I spent time trying to
find materials with listing for the purpose but never got to the bottom
if it.

I have always had a problem when I saw thin wall AL flex being used with
twist-in-insert type fittings.

Mark Frye