[RE-wrenches] EMT in attic

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Fri Nov 9 05:44:26 PST 2012

Nick, what the AHJ is telling you may actually be in reference to
250.97; for most PV output circuits (yes these are necessarily dc) this
bonding requirement applies since array VOC > 250 VDC. As Kent just
pointed out, these dc conductors clearly don't meet the NEC definition
of a service.

"250.97 Bonding for Over 250 Volts. For circuits of over 250 volts to
ground, the electrical continuity of metal raceways and cables with
metal sheaths that contain any conductor other than service conductors
shall be ensured by one or more of the methods specified for services in
250.92(B), except for (B)(1)..." followed by an exception.

Seems that FMC is OK as an EGC if your conductors have <20A OCPDs, which
I imagine you do, but that FMC also can't be longer than 6' (see
250.118(5)). So I think your AHJ is probably right and I just learned
something. If you're running a separate EGC anyway, you may want to ask
why this bonding business is so important-- but I don't have an NEC
reference on this to help you argue this. Maybe the AHJ would allow you
to just run MC cable as the 2011 NEC allows.

John Wiles is awesome. Someone on this list had to say it.

DKC