[RE-wrenches] Wattsun Tracker Foundations

Ken Schaal Ken at commonwealthsolar.com
Sat Oct 27 07:50:03 PDT 2012

Our first tracker job was for Y2K here in central Va. --a lot of red clay soils, especially down 3'+. The client had been in the 8' Satellite dish  business. He suggested using his backhoe to dig a ' chicken foot'   foundation--3 horizontal footings, as deep and as long  as you want. This leaves a central space ,where the footings merge,  for the 8-10 " , schedule 40 or 80 pipe. We typically make the feet 4' -5'deep--especially at the bottom of the pole-- and 6' long and 12 " wide, with plenty of rebar circling the pipe and extending into the feet, at 1'  increments of depth. Rebar is cheap so use plenty of it, and use a 3-4000 psi concrete , as dry as possible.
The windiest location has probably taken 70-100 mph gusts--enough to take the roof off the nearby farm building, and necesitate the elevation actuator to need upgrading-- but the foundation is unmoved.

One little trick is to get your own 6" box beam --less expensive than shipped from Wattsun-- and make it a little longer than typical in order to allow a 2" space between modules to relieve the air pressure. We also like to have the manual control so the array can be set flat, although that was not activated by the owner during the last several wind events. Hence the need to upgrade the elevation actuator---------

Never had it engineered tho, so use your own judgement.

Ken
CommonWealth Solar
Ashland , Va