[RE-wrenches] SunSlates from Atlantis Energy

Andrew Truitt atruitt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 08:47:58 PDT 2012

I've seen a few Atlantis projects mid-install.  As with many
roof-integrated PV products they involve a LOT of electrical connections
and significant installation labor.  If memory serves, a wooden lattice
structure was built on top of the roof to provide ventilation and the
slates were fastened to the lattice.   The issues I would be concerned with
are connection failures and the labor costs associated with installation
and slate replacement.  The estimate that I got from installers (circa
2009) was $10-12 / watt installed (all-in).  I am curious about their
long-term weather-proofing performance, especially in adverse climates.

For a brighter energy future,

Andrew Truitt
NABCEP Certified PV Installer™ (ID# 032407-66)****

Principal
Truitt Renewable Energy Consulting****

(202) 486-7507****

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/andrew-truitt/8/622/713

"Don't get me wrong: I love nuclear energy! It's just that I prefer fusion
to fission. And it just so happens that there's an enormous fusion reactor
safely banked a few million miles from us. It delivers more than we could
ever use in just about 8 minutes. And it's wireless!"

~William McDonough