[RE-wrenches] SunSlates from Atlantis Energy

Robert Evans revans1212 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 10:06:04 PDT 2012

I installed the BOS for an Atlantis Sunslates system back in 2003-04,
and commissioned the system. Based on my experience I couldn't
recommend them, unless they have fixed the product.

The customer had already contracted with Atlantis and an approved
roofer to install the Sunslates on his residence. I was around during
the install of the slates and while indeed time consuming it actually
went pretty smoothly and looked good. I was worried though when I saw
all the series connectors and realized that the system didn't offer
any airflow under the slates.

The system performed subpar right out of the gates (as compared to
framed mods on racks) - especially during the summer on hot days -
remember there was no airflow. However after just 2 years the system
production really nosedived (50% of similar framed mod system) due to
poorly designed connectors (not MC type but funky cam-closures that I
had never seen before) that built up high resistance connections and
slates that failed due to poor internal connections.

Troubleshooting was very difficult due to poor access to the
connections. Atlantis did send people out often over the years to try
and correct the situation, and they added more slates to the roof to
compensate for the poor production. But the system continually had
problems, and the customer never really got any satisfaction. It's
actually way to long a story to tell here.

I think BIPV always has these challenges inherent:
Expensive product.
Expensive labor intensive install.
Lots of connections.
Difficult access to connections.
Poor airflow and hot operating cell temps.

Well designed products can help mitigate these. Poor designed products
make these issues worse. There is a reason why BIPV has not
proliferated on residential buildings.

Maybe Atlantis has fixed these issues? I was never interested in
promoting the product so I've never looked into it. But anyone looking
to put this product up should really do some homework.

And one more thing - anytime a customer gets a system installed from 2
parties - one for the array and one for the BOS, it becomes difficult
for all involved should the system not perform well. I learned a
lesson and never got involved in a split up job like this in the
future.

Bob Evans
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Evans Energy Systems