[RE-wrenches] Max Insolation

JRQ quackkcauq at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 19:26:48 PDT 2012

Ray,

The "solar constant" -- the average irradiance value at the edge of the Earth's atmosphere -- is about 1360 W/m2. See the wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_constant

You're pushing the edge of what's possible if you're getting 1400 W/m2. There could be a slight calibration problem. The 1800 W/m2 must be the edge-of-could effect, or something is definitely going on with your pyranometer.

Jeffrey Quackenbush