[RE-wrenches] Extensive Lightning Damage to Modules

Jeff Irish jeff at hudsonsolar.com
Fri Sep 7 11:37:31 PDT 2012

Hey Larry,

The four poles of ten modules in each row are each a separate string, combined at a fused DC combiner on the west most pole.  A 1 inch PVC conduit runs down each pole directly to a buried hand hole box at the west pole of each row.  Each conduit contains a #8 EGC along with the current carrying conductors.  In the hand hole boxes the four #8 wires are irreversibly spliced to the bare #6 that is laid in and runs the length of the 39 foot trench connecting the four poles.  An acorn attaches the bare #6 to a ground rod at each end.  The #8 EGC at each pole is irreversibly spliced to the EGC from the rails, rack and pole, each of which have lay in lugs.  The module are grounded to the rails with WEEBs.  We're following Burndy's paper on how to ground DP&W top of pole mounts.

The #6 should not have any tight bends, it should just leave the hand hole box and go in a straight line 39 feet east in the bottom of the trench.  This, combined with each pole being 5-7 feet into the ground should be sufficient grounding, I'd have thought.  It's about 100 times more surface area than the average house with a single ground rod.

Jeff
Hudson Solar