[RE-wrenches] Reducing Glare from Solar Modules

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Mon Aug 20 14:02:22 PDT 2012

Sequoya/William,
Is the neighbour/neighbourhood simply complaining to the system owner, or
are they formally complaining to the city/town?
I would suggest that it should be up to the complainant to perform the study
that proves that glare is an issue.  Would this not be the case?  I guess
each jurisdiction would have its own regulations for these matters, but I
would think that the complainer would have to justify the complaint before
putting any burden on anyone else.

"exaggerating or fabricatingŠ" is almost certainly the case.  Does the sun
not reflect off the metal roof as well (if it is tin/silver in colour)?  Or
from any windows?  Would they want the metal roof to be replaced or windows
relocated as well?

Many surfaces will produce a glare/reflection on a certain point given the
right angles (time of day/year).  Is it reasonable to complain to your
city/town that the "new building" across the street sends a glare into your
kitchen blinding you while you eat breakfast?  What about if that new
highrise across from your office building blinds you while you sit at your
office desk?  Who do you complain to, your city for allowing it to happen or
to your boss, hoping for a new office?

I don't envy you. Complainers are tough to deal with.  Good luck!  (maybe
suggest that your customer offers to buy the complainer a gift card for some
new curtains/blinds, as a peace offering)

There is a college in this area that is working on a great renewable energy
training program and they are being given a hard time for wanting to install
a few large pole mounted arrays about 1000ft or so from a major highway,
because of reflection concerns!!!  Now this is in a rural area that has many
tin sided and roofed barns and sheds. Apparently they are having to submit
reflection studies.  I would have a hard time believing that a farmer would
have to submit the same studies when building a new barn in the same area.

Benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc.
www.daystarsolar.ca  *  Ph: 780-906-7807
Construction Electrician Solar Photovoltaic Systems Certified
Certificate # 0007S
HAVE A SUNNY DAY