[RE-wrenches] Metal roof panel attachment -was S5! question

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Mon Aug 20 13:26:41 PDT 2012

Following Jay's inquiry about S5! Attachments……

I'm pretty sure I recall reading in S5!'s literature something along the
lines that "they" ASSUME that the metal panels are properly attached to the
building's structure, or something to that effect.

How does one ACTUALLY determine if the 'pans' or roofing panels are
'correctly' installed?  Is this purely an assumption or taking the word of
the home/building owner that the roofer 'did it right'?  ('assume' can be a
very bad word in this line of work!)

Is there some way of visually or physically checking the method and/or
number-of-times the roof panels are attached or do you have to assume (that
word again!) that the roofer followed the correct installation specs. Even
if the roofers 'say' that they installed the roof panels with adequate
number of attachments, with whom would the liability lie if big wind storm
hits and the array/roof partially or completely lifts off the building?
AND that being said, do typical metal roof panel installation specs allow
for uplift loading from something like a PV array?

Don't the metal panels just attach to the roof sheathing as opposed to the
structural rafters or trusses, and if so then how would this be different
than bolting roof attachments to roof sheathing on a typical residential
roof, which we all learned in Grade one of solar PV install school, is not a
good idea?!?

Enlighten me please.

benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc.
www.daystarsolar.ca  *  Ph: 780-906-7807
Construction Electrician Solar Photovoltaic Systems Certified
Certificate # 0007S
HAVE A SUNNY DAY

On 20/08/12 11:16 AM, "Garrison Riegel" <garrison at solarserviceinc.com>