[RE-wrenches] Combating requests for itemized PV pricing

Keith Cronin electrichi01 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 18 12:03:54 PDT 2012

Wrenches

Its ironic this topic came up for me yesterday as well. As we have approached the day where everything is online- pricing of our widgets from various sources, its challenging for wrenches to not be transparent or to explain you want to make X% margin on widgets.

But if someone buys things elsewhere, what are our options?
For the on-grid market, pricing has dropped precipitously for the cost per watt of installed products and the urban solar business could be more crowded than the off-grid market, as the specialized skills for understanding batteries is usually absent from the on-grid market, ratio and proportion to the installer base.
How about a novel approach:
1. Charge what your time is worth. Determine how many hours in a year you can "sell" your services.  My rule of thumb is 75% efficient- 6 out of 8 hours you can be doing productive work. This varies depending upon if you're a 1 person company or have a staff. The 1 person shops can probably sell their time- 1000 hours a year. Add in all of your overhead costs in a year and come up with this number and spread it across the amount of time you can sell in a year.
2. You can then come up with a daily rate for doing work or a half day rate.
3. Have language in your contract to address installing other peoples equipment and if their are issues with it, then there will be a cost to them for parts that don't work or are DOA out of the box etc.

At its core- it might seem counter-intuitive but sell your time and focus less on making a margin on widgets. Many industries, like legal, accounting or your dentist- make money selling their time vs widgets. Perhaps we are close to that time in our industry.

In doing PPA's and other structured finance projects lately, we get squeezed as well. Investors want to know how the costs can be more transparent to making funding a project a dream to a reality. They want EPC's to make money but want to know how to make the economics work. Today, this could also be similar for the smaller projects. Some people just want to do their own shopping. Yes, it can be frustrating, as you find yourself being the engineer for them and invest alot of time and often it is free consulting. My suggestion would be to cultivate the relationship, see if there is a fit and have a contract for a labor only aspect of the opportunity. I recognize its not something we've been usually associated to, but thinking about this further, is one solution to this change on the playing field.

So, I'd suggest line itemization of everything. The key is for us to know how long things take, in general to install things and know those times associated to those activities.
Layer on top your overhead % and profit % and any local tax to come up with your selling price.

If you'd like any help with this, contact me off list.

Aloha,

Keith