[RE-wrenches] Small battery bank vs too large array

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Aug 2 14:16:21 PDT 2012

Drake,

The ability to charge at much higher amperage is typical of all AGM batteries. The recombinant technology does not produce much heat before the internal resistance rises and the current naturally drops. AGM's require up to 20% less energy to recharge as very little is wasted as heat.

For me, the important aspect of AGM's is that with higher initial current (over sizing the PV system or the ability to use a large charger) and higher efficiency, you reach the absorb set point earlier in the day. For off grid systems, this means you will have more sun hours left to achieve 100% SoC. For these reasons I generally recommend AGM's.

Larry Crutcher
Starlight Solar Power Systems
(928) 342-9103