[RE-wrenches] Small battery bank vs too large array

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Thu Aug 2 13:06:04 PDT 2012

Hello Wrenches,

Thanks for your help with this question.

I've had a breakthrough on the design of this system.  I talked with
Tom at Midnight Solar, and he explained that Concord batteries can be
charged at C X 5 if necessary, i.e., 5 X AH capacity of the
bank.  The batteries like a fast charge.  They are a bit spendy, but
will simplify the overall system design.

 From the Manual:
"The charging current during the Bulk stage should be set as high as
practical; higher current mean faster recharge time.  For repetitive
deep cycling, chargers should have an output current of at least 0.2C
(20 Amps for a 100 Ah battery).  If the output current is less than
this value, the cycle life of the battery may be negatively
affected.  Due to low impedance design, Sun Xtender batteries can
tolerate in-rush current levels as high as 5C (500 A for a 100 Ah battery). "

It is imperative to keep the system voltage at the required set
point.  The CC regulation will prevent the batteries from being
harmed, as the voltage will rise quickly.

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric LLC
OH License 44810