[RE-wrenches] roof attachment in tile roof

benn kilburn benn at daystarsolar.ca
Wed Jul 18 18:18:02 PDT 2012

William,
"If we are going to do solar right, we need to be electricians and
roofers."
This is so true, I fully agree.  It is really to bad that many PV
installers don't see it this way.

I like that I will have the opportunity to work on a new roof type, and I
am grateful that the Wrenches are available to share some key ideas and
proven methods for a roof type and attachment method that I have not been
able to spend much/any time on yet.

For stanchions, wouldn't a (diamond/carbide) holesaw be the tool of choice
for cutting holes in the tile to allow the stanchion to protrude?  The
holesaw could be used with either a right-angle grinder or drill.
Not that it matters, but just to point it out again, these are metal roof
tiles with a stone finish. >>metrotile_medit.cfm
<http://metroroofproducts.com/metrotile_medit.cfm>

>From a weather proof perspective the roof hooks contour around the tiles,
so there is no penetrating the tile or flashing needed. But Jason and
yourself suggested wind uplift may be a factor and as Peter mentioned and
I had read in the instructions, the hooks may rest on the lower tile (not
good) so they may need to be shimmed and the upper tile may still have to
be cut to fit around it.

I definitely like the concept of the stanchions being solidly attached to
the roof.  Do you care to share which is your flashed tile stanchion of
choice?

Thanks,
benn

DayStar Renewable Energy Inc.
www.daystarsolar.ca  *  Ph: 780-906-7807
Construction Electrician Solar Photovoltaic Systems Certified
Certificate # 0007S
HAVE A SUNNY DAY