[RE-wrenches] combiners and the 120% rule

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Wed Jun 27 05:03:03 PDT 2012

I think that technically, the combiner panel is not compliant if the
possible feeds from various sources exceed 120% of the busbar rating.

Inspectors have been reasonable on this issue, as it can be done
safely.  The solution, if the AHJ won't accept a small combiner panel
is to use a panel with a higher busbar rating and a main breaker
small enough so that the combination of the main and solar feeds does
not exceed 120% of the busbar rating.  It can result in some
awkwardly large and technically unnecessary boxes.

At 07:29 AM 6/27/2012, you wrote:
>If the combining panel is next to the main panel, can you use a Main
>Lug panel as the combining panel or does it need a main breaker? I'm
>not sure what the purpose of the main breaker would be if there are no loads.
>
>--
>Chris Mason
>President, Comet Systems Ltd
><http://www.cometenergysystems.com>www.cometenergysystems.com