[RE-wrenches] Solar Attic Fans

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Fri Jun 8 10:30:59 PDT 2012

We did a paper on this back in 2000 that folks may find interesting. A
bit outdated- two 10W (thin film) fans were used for a 1000 sf home.
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/en/publications/html/FSEC-GP-171-00/index.htm

Conclusion:
"Comparing periods with similar weather conditions, the test revealed
that the PV vent fans have the potential to reduce measured peak summer
attic air temperatures by over 20oF. However, the impact over the
cooling season is fairly modest with well insulated attics. Measured
space cooling reduction was approximately 6% - worth about 460 kWh
annually at the test home." [test home had R-19 ceiling insulation]